What’s new: The camera’s full review is available now at Neocamera!
Panasonic has announced the new Micro Four Thirds digital camera, the LUMIX DMC-GF1. It claims to be the world’s smallest and lightest system camera with built-in flash and HD movie recording.
The GF1 features 4/3-type 12.1-megapixel Live MOS sensor and can deliver up to 60 frames-per-second Full-time Live View images. Its large, 3.0-inch Intelligent LCD with a wide viewing angle offers automatic backlight control as well as color and brightness adjustment.
The DMC-GF1 has advanced functions that will satisfy experienced photographers and features the improved iA (Intelligent Auto) mode for beginners with Face Recognition technology.
The iA mode includes MEGA O.I.S., which helps prevent blurring from hand-shake, and some “intelligent” functions - Intelligent ISO Control, Intelligent Exposure that prevents blocked shadows and blown highlights and Intelligent Scene Selector.
The DMC-GF1 also features My Color mode with a total of seven preset effects - Expressive, Retro, Pure, Elegant, Monochrome, Dynamic Art, and Silhouette. Live View function enables you to see how these settings will affect the photo before you shoot.
The camera can record 1280 x 720 high-definition movies. The iA (Intelligent Auto) is also available for motion image recording.
The GF1 comes with either a 14-45mm zoom lens or a 20mm f/1.7 prime lens and will be available in four colors: true black, active red, sleek silver, and clean white. It is compatible with a number of accessories, including the Live View Finder that provides full-time live view.
Also please note that the camera will autofocus with the following lenses only:
- Olympus Zuiko 25 F2.8 ‘Pancake’
- Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6
- Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6
- Panasonic Leica D Summilux 25mm F1.4 ASPH
- Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-50mm F3.8-5.6 ASPH. Mega OIS
- Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. Mega OIS
The camera provides many of the benefits of a DSLR: interchangeable lens options, a relatively large sensor, raw file capture and full manual controls, though its full capabilities can only be realized with raw file capture - and only by those who are prepared to edit images in Adobe’s Photoshop.
The DMC-GF1 a very responsive performer and its photo quality is very good as well with well exposed photos and no noise until ISO800.
The camera takes most of the good points of its bigger brothers, the G1 and GH1, and squeezes them inside a smaller body. It features fast auto-focus, excellent image quality and 720p video.
The camera offers superb resolution, and excellent overall image quality up to ISO 1600 (RAW files are still better that JPEGs) as well as intuitive user-interface that combines compact and DSLR features. Though its flash is very weak and the body non-stabilized.
Panasonic has delivered a great camera with the GF1, and the brand deserves nothing but praise. It is a camera for everyone on the hunt for the combination; small size and great quality.
The GF1 delivers much better performance than a traditional compact at high sensitivities, along with higher dynamic range and the potential for much shallower depth-of-field effects. In short, it’s a world apart from what you’ll achieve with a typical compact.
Alternatives/Rivals: Olympus E-P1.
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GF1 – Specifications:
- Metal Body
- 4/3 type MOS Sensor
- 12.11 Megapixels
- Maximum Image Size: 4000 x 3000
- Aspect Ratios: 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, 1:1
- 3.0 inch TFT LCD with 460,000 dots
- Focus: Auto Focus Manual focus, Face Detection, AF Tracking, 23-Area-Focusing/1 Area Focusing, Single or Continuous AF, AF detection range: EV 0-18 (F3.5 lens, ISO 100), Pre AF (Quick AF/Continuous AF), AF+MF, MF Assist(5x, 10x)
- No Image stabilization
- Extended optical zoom Yes
- Exposure Modes: Program AE, Aperture priority, AE Shutter priority, AE Manual, iAuto, SCN (16 Scenes), Movie, Custom (2)/
- Sensitivity: 100-3200
- Metering: Multiple-Weighted, Center-Weighted, Spot
- Shutter Speed: 60 -1/4000 sec, Bulb
- Continuous Shooting: 3 fps
- Movie Mode: 1280 x 720 at 30fps
- SD / SDHC / MMC Memory Cards
Official Information: panasonic.net.