What’s new: The camera was reviewed at Photographyblog!
PENTAX Imaging Company announced the latest model to its ultrazoom line, the Pentax X90. It takes on the company’s X70 model and features 12 megapixels, 26x optical zoom, 2.7-inch LCD screen, full manual controls and HD movie capture.
The camera’s lens has 26 mm wide angle capabilities and 26x magnification with its impressive optical zoom. The lens also delivers 1 cm (0.4 inches) macro focus length, which proves its versatility. There’s no optical stabilizer in the lens, but the camera has sensor-shift image stabilization to ensure blur-free images.
The X90 offers maximum controls over your images it its aperture & shutter priority and manual shooting modes. There’s also an Auto Picture mode which detect the shooting situation and automatically selects the optimum scene from eight common scenes. You can as well select the scene yourself – there’ a wide choice of 20 pre-set scene modes in the camera.
The camera has all the necessary functions for perfect portrait shots – Face Detection of up to 32 faces in a frame, Smile capture and Blink detection. There’s also AF Tracking function in the camera to keep moving subjects in focus.
The X90 cam shoot 5mp images at up to 11 fps continuous speed, has built-in Wi-Fi capability and supports Eye-Fi wireless SD memory cards. It goes on sale in the USA from April 2010 at a planned price of $400.
Basically the camera can be viewed as a ‘DSLR Lite’ for those aspiring photographers who would like more control over their images than most compacts can offer. But its price is almost as high as that of an entry-level DSLR or Hybrid.
Sample Photo Galleries: photographyblog.com.
Pentax Optio X90– Specifications:
- 1/2.33″ CCD Image Sensor
- 12.10 Megapixels
- Maximum Image Size: 4000 x 3000
- 26x Optical Zoom
- Sensor-shift Image Stabilization
- Focal Length Equivalent: 26 - 676mm
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 (Wide) - f/5.0 (Tele)
- 200K dots Electronic Viewfinder with Diopter Control
- 2.7 in. LCD with 230,000 dots
- Contrast detect Focusing System
- AF Modes: 9-area Auto, 99-area Manual Select, Center
- Macro Focus: 1 cm
- Sensitivity: ISO 80- 6400
- Shutter Speed: 4 - 1/4000 sec
- Light Metering: Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot, Spot AF area
- Exposure Modes: Aperture, Shutter, Manual
- 20 Scene Modes
- Face Detection up to 32 faces
- Continuous Shooting: up to 11 fps at 5Mp
- Movie Mode: 1280 x 720p at 30fps (HD)
- SD / SDHC, MMC Memory Cards
- 31.2MB Internal Memory