What’s new: The camera got a review at Photographyblog!
Price is reduced due to the removal of three “art filter” modes which were offered in the E-620 - Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, and Grainy Film. Two-shot multi exposure mode, and the aspect mask control are also absent. If you don’t need these features, it’s sensible for you to buy a cheaper camera.
Like the E-620, the Olympus E-600 12-magapixel resolution, Live MOS image sensor, and accepts Four Thirds-mount lenses. And the Supersonic Wave Filter dust reduction system, which helps control the effects of dust on the image sensor.
Exposure modes include Program Auto (with program shift capability), as well as both Aperture- and Shutter-priority and a fully Manual mode. There are also 18 scene modes to keep things approachable for beginners, and a Scene Program AE mode that automatically selects from a subset of five scene modes.
Three Art Filter modes are still available - “Pop Art”, “Soft Focus” and “Pin Hole.”
The E-600 ships from November 2009.
The camera is not the E-620 ‘proper’, but since you’re basically getting a user-friendly mid-range camera for an entry-level price, there’s little about the Olympus E-600 that can be faulted.
Sample Photo Galleries: photographyblog.com.
Olympus E-600 – Specifications:
- N-MOS Four Thirds Image Sensor
- 12.3 Megapixels
- Sensor-shift Stabilization
- Maximum Image Size: 4032 x 3024
- No Movie Mode
- Kit Lens: Olympus 14-42mm f3.5/5.6 ED Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens
- Auto Focus: 7 points twin AF sensor with the phase-difference detection; 5 points twin cross, 2 points twin
- Manual Focus
- Eye-level Pentamirror Optical Viewfinder with 95% coverage
- 2.7 inch LCD Monitor with 230,000 pixels
- Sensitivity: ISO100 - 3200
- Shutter Speed: 60 - 1/4000, Bulb
- Metering Modes: 49-zone Digital ESP, Center Weighted Average, Spot (2% with Highlight/Shadow mode)
- Shooting Modes: Program AE, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Full Manual Exposure, Creative Exposure Mode (18)
- Burst shooting: up to 4 fps
- Built-in Flash + Hot Shoe for External Flash
- Weight: 16.8 oz/475 g
- Retail Price: $599.99 (Cost reduced E-620)