Bob Atkins has reviewed Canon EOS 50D, which is Canon’s most recent addition to their “prosumer” or “advanced amateur” DSLR lineup. It’s worthy update to the already excellent EOS 40D, equipping it not just with the latest features, but also a significant boost in resolution without compromising noise levels.
In terms of the new features, several represent their debut on a Canon DSLR вЂ“ so the 50D becomes the first EOS to feature a VGA screen and an HDMI port. Speaking of Live View, the 50D now supports contrast-based AF and a new Face Detection option. It also features a live histogram.
Of course the 50D isnвЂ™t without its downsides. The addition of contrast-based autofocus in Live View was inevitable, but itвЂ™s relatively slow and best-used for static subjects and a tripod-based camera. This makes the new face detection mode slower, itвЂ™s several seconds before the camera locks focus on subjects вЂ“ by which time theyвЂ™ll inevitably have moved.
It should also be mentioned the EOS 50D does not have a movie mode.
Improvements & specifications
- Viewfinder: Pentaprism, 95% coverage, 0.95x
- 9-point AF specification
- WFT-E3(A) wireless transmitter
- Continuous shooting is 6.3fps on the 50D
- ISO Speeds ISO 100-3200 + H1(6400) and H2 (12800)
- Shutter Speeds 1/8000 to 30 sec. + B, X-sync at 1/250 sec.
- Metering Modes 35-zone Evaluative, 9% Partial, 3.8% Spot, Center Weighted
- Retractable, auto pop-up flash, GN 13/43 (ISO 100 m/ft), coverage for 17mm lens
- LCD with enhanced anti-reflection coating
- An ISO range from 100-3200, plus expansion to 6400(H1) and 12800(H2)
- 4 levels of high ISO noise reduction
- A “creative auto” mode
- Contrast detection AF in Live View mode
- A Face detection mode in Live View mode
- In camera peripheral illumination (vignetting) correction for JPEGs with certain Canon lenses
- A Digic IV processor for faster operation
- Faster USB data transfer
ThereвЂ™s no doubt the new EOS 50D is a very powerful and feature-packed semi-pro DSLR which succeeds in its goals.
Related Posts:Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM Lens
Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Lens
Canon BG-E4 Battery Grip
More news:Nikon Coolpix S1100pj Digital Camera with a Built-in Projector
Ricoh G700 Waterproof Digital Compact Camera
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Lens
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120MM F/4G ED VR Standard Zoom Lens
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G Bright Lens
Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens
Canon SX130 IS Long-Zoom Digital Camera with Manual Controls
Nikon Coolpix S5100 Point-and-Shoot Digital Camera
KODAK EasyShare M590 Ultra Thin Point-and-Shoot
Nikon D3100 User-Friendly DSLR Camera